History

History

The “Cave du Consul” was created around 1910 by Ernest Martin. In 1947, his son Robert began direct sales to the customer. In 1970, Michel took over the business and developed it. From 2006, his sons, Laurent and Nicolas, are the fourth generation in the business.

The origin of the appellations Consul and Rustica

The noble art of wine production was already known in Helvetia (the old name for the region corresponding to Western Switzerland) in Roman times.  “Rustic villas” with their adjacent vineyards stretching along the hills on the shores of the Lake of Geneva were to be found there. The Roman roads, starting from the golden military milestone in the centre of the forum in Rome, linked towns and villages. Every thousand paces, the military milestones, dedicated to the Emperor, were spaced out.  Post horses were stabled every 10,000 paces for the couriers who brought the imperial edicts and brought back to Rome news from the provinces.

Perroy, situated on the road from Geneva to Orbe (Urba) and between Nyon, the “equestrian city” (Civitas Equestrium, as it is known on some inscriptions), and Lausanne (Lousanna), in the centre of a flourishing wine-growing region, was one of these staging posts.

Apart from the lakeside dwellers who were doubtless subject to an exclusively aquatic activity, our ancestors have always cultivated the vine and loved the wine. According to legend, a blacksmith named Hélicon brought the first vine stock from Rome and “forged” our first vineyards. The vines were already spreading their branches on the banks of the Lake of Geneva at the time of the Caesars, as the statuettes of Bacchus found in our vineyards and the remains of the ancient vine growing estates known as “Rustic villas” testify.

As a result of this historical background, the white wines from our estate bore the title “Le Relais du Consul” (the Consul’s staging post) which later was called “Le Consul” (The Consul) whereas our red wines were called “Rustica.”